Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Am I in the right state of mind ?

The other day, while visiting a bank on Bracknell high street, I noticed a dog being tied to a post while his master had gone into a shop. He was barking on a very high pitch. I felt sad for him as it was very cold and close to -1 degree and he was helpless. But the events that next happened froze me in time and made me think.

I saw an old man pass by and he started talking to the dog, as in asking him whether he wanted something to drink or eat? He then gave a pat on the dog's back and went on.

Next, I saw a very young toddler coming out of a shop with her Mum. When she noticed the dog barking, her face lit up and she went running to the dog.

What appeared as barking to me, a help cry to the old man, appeared as something exciting for the toddler. And remember, all of this got registered in me in less than 20 seconds.

While I can truly appreciate the liveliness and the compassion of both the toddler and the old man, I am left pondering as to how I should have reacted to the situation ? Why didn't I react the way the toddler did or the old man did ? Honestly, I don't have an answer to my self-introspection!