Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thoughtful or Thoughtless ?

The door opens with it's own pipers singing loudly so as to alarm the surroundings. Am courteous enough to wait for co-travellers to board (something that I have inculcated after coming here) and finally, with a sense of relief that comes from the fact that the guard has still not blown his whistle and not left me stranded, I get in. Yes, I am in a train, commuting to work, something I do from Monday to Friday pretty much like a zombie.

I manage to find a cosy seat next to a window, to enjoy the warmth of the heater that's on during this time of the year and to enjoy the scenic beauty that Mother Nature has to offer in South West of London.

I start my ritual of "ipodding" and pull out my current read. Fellow passengers, sitting right across me and besides me, are in to their world, occasionally looking at me for all the charm that I have to offer! (ok, I made this one up!).

During the journey, there are times when I stare out of the window in to the open fields and skies and realise that my eyes are seeing but not looking. That's because my mind is in to it's own world - wandering/loitering in to a maze of thoughts. Physically present, mentally absent!

Suddenly, when my mind comes home, I realise that am staring at a blank space without any meaning!!! ha ! ha! That's when my eyes start to "look" and send back signals to my brain asking " how stupid are you, to make me stare at empty spaces!".

What I realise from this whole experience is the fact that it's really difficult to sit in your seat without doing anything, not thinking about something and not dozing off, be completely present in the presence of your fellow passengers and yet not look at them.

Only goes to show how conditioned I am and how difficult to keep my mind still and yet be present in the moment. That's something I have always wanted to do or be in - the state of "here and now" as Osho says it....

No comments: